Sunday, February 6, 2011

8 days; 5 cities; 1 post. Nord

Allow me to pull out my Hello Kitty notepad and share with you the little things I wrote about each city (the abridged version)....

DAY 1: FLORENCE
-seeing the Duomo in person was AWESOME!  I was always unsure if i liked it or not but once you see how huge it is in person, it is impressive.  So far its is one of my favorites.
-Baptistry doors.  They are massive and beautiful.  They were on my list of things I needed to see.
-CLIMBED TO THE TOP!  473 stairs up and then down.  Painful.  Spiral stairs made us all dizzy and confused.  The view was amazing.  We saw EVERYTHING.  One side of the copula was windier than the other. It wasn’t as scary as i thought it was going to be.
-Santa Croce: location of the tombs of Dante, Michealangelo, Galileo, and many others.  Galileo was my favorite.
-We then sketched the Pazzi Chapel in the attached monastery  where I started to feel sick.  I now think it was just due to not drinking enough water after climbing 900 stairs, since, ya know, thats not something I do everyday.
-Uffizi Gallery of Art- location of Boticelli’s Birth of Venus and Springtime.
-Florentine Steak dinner. yum-o
-6 euro gelato at the only place that was open “Very Good.”  Not very good, and very over priced.

DAY 2: FLORENCE
-New Sacristy by Michaelangelo, Old Sacristy by Brunalesci
-Galleria Dell’Accademia: Location of The David.  the coolest part of this museum was the unfinished Michaelangelo works where figures were still just emerging from the marble.  Also the location of my favorite Annunciation painting.
-Piazza Michaelangelo= great view as well, also took painful stairs to reach
-Shopped on Ponte Vecchio (life long dream). Entertained JoJo with my awkwardness when I shop. “muffin-topping my finger” “just a smidgen bigger”
-Andrew calls. he needs our help picking out a leather jacket. here we go...
-Strange man asks JoJo if i am JLo’s cousin -_-
-Crazy woman needs JoJo to buy leather bag. she was crazy. JoJo made her crazier.
-Waffle + hot melted nutella that got all over me =]
-Andrew and Emily play joke on me that Andrew bought a Rolex...  I gotta start holding the green and gold cards.

DAY 3: VENICE
-Coldest day by far.
-Me and Brigid get the only room with a balcony. sweet!
-St Marks Square - not as pigeon filled as its known for, then again, I cant imagine its prime pigeon season.  
-3 seconds in a Mass at St Marks. the ceiling was lit up so you can see every 24 K gold mosaic tile.
-Went back to sketch after mass, lights were not on, dark and unwelcoming. I am glad i got to see it in its pretty state of being.
- “Penguine huddle... and then they ruffle”
-Played on swings in park

DAY 4: VENICE
-Il Rendetore - colder inside church, and we had to leave because a funeral was starting.  I didn’t catch a glimpse of the hearse-boat, but someone got a photo of it.
-San Giorgio Massimo
-Hour long boat ride to Cimitera San Michele (the cemetery island)
-Boat to Murano.  yayy glass =] also on my bucket list.

DAY 5: VERONA, VICENZA
-Ugly (in my opinion) Scarpa building
-Ran in and out of the Romeo and Juliet little piazza
- “Wanna go to Swatch with me?” “NO!”
-Castel Vecchio - COOLEST THING EVER! Medieval castle redone by Scarpa to be a museum for medieval works. It was a giant playground.
-strangest bathroom experience: ceramic hole in the ground.  turns  out i just walked into the boys room. 
-Scary Pinocchio man.  I dont like people dressed up trying to scare me.
-Train from Verona to Vicenza
-Shopped and chilled, then yummy dinner
-Horse was on the menu, i tried a piece of Stephanie’s, it was not bad.

DAY 6: VICENZA
-Villa Rotunda, outside and inside
-Walk down a road with lots of villas
- “we should have gotten shape ups before this”
-Palladio Walking tour
-Teatro Olimpica- forced perspective stage that we were not allowed to play on.
-Hot wine. still blows my mind
-Sat in caffe and worked on sketches, brushed away my eraser crumbs and I smacked JoJo’s water glass right off the table and into a million peices.  oh yea, i’m swift
-Dinner at a self serve place.  JoJo and i took the classy way out and put our wine in mugs that were intended for beer. whupsies.
-JoJo lost pants? dont worry she found them

DAY 7: MILAN
-Train ride 20 questions with Speer, Justin, and CFT, “How does a koala relate to a liger?!”
-Beautiful Duomo,  something else i didn’t know if i really liked all that much before seeing in person.
-Brig rips map in half, nice people in bar fight to piece it back together
-Mercedes store with Andrew -_-
-Spun on bull!
-Inside of Duomo: intimidatingly gothic
-Roof of Duomo.  Looking at the buttresses was more appealing than the views of Milan, in my opinion. Reminisced about Legends of the Hidden Temple.
-Castel Sforzesco. sweet courtyards and ponds
-Time to chill at a Bar. Asked for hot chocolate, got hot pudding. I love Italy.
-bought my first LongChamp bag =]
-laughed at past weeks photos, mostly of “Chris Tosta”
-Dinner included pianist music and an ice cream scoop sized mozzarella ball

DAY 8: MILAN
-Architectural bus tour of Milan
- “fah - sade” “fahk - ahss”
-mostly bad architecture. some not so bad.
-Awkward tour of a University in Milan
-Train home time.
-20 minutes into journey, we get locamotive issues
- “un altre treno arriva nel 60 minuti” OOH OOH i understood that! another train is coming and will be here in 60 minutes.... oh..... wait......
-Start to play train wide architecture games.
-after 2 hour delay, we switch over trains, Corin and i get drinks and food from chaotic snack bar for the group.
-Arrival time: 12:30
-at least our taxi driver was fun! he talked to us about the LA Lakers and the snow in DC

No comments:

Post a Comment