Sunday, February 20, 2011

Advice: Traveling to Rome for the first time

This coming week I will most likely be busy with jury work.  Followed by Istanbul right before my family arrives in Rome the same day I return.  So, I decided that now is the perfect time to tell my parents,  grandparents, and sister, what to expect when they come to Italy:

Packing:  Pack
The Flight: Try to sleep.  I didn’t, and its long and aggravating if you don’t.  The food is poopish, but you’ll survive. Everything is in English and Italian.

Walking: Sensible (cute) walking shoes are a must!  (Emily loves her Clarks for example)  You WILL twist your ankle, I guarantee.  So avoid if possible.  And when you do, it is not the end of the world.  Just keep walking and it will go away, I promise.  You may find yourself at times looking at the ground rather than the scenery around you, don’t miss out on Rome because your keeping your eye on the unevenness.

Bathrooms: my favorite topic.  best piece of advice: find the flushy mechanism before using.  Its sometimes on the wall, or the tip of the water tank, or its a flat panel with 2 buttons, one bigger than the other.  This is a water saving technique that they are actually trying to start in America.  Its pretty self explanatory why you would need two different flush options. Toilets also sometimes dont have seat covers.  I dont know.  Just work with it.  Use the bathroom whenever you are in a restaurant or something just because with all the walking, you never know when you will have to go next.  Oh and your hotels will probably have a bidet.  I dont have anything to say about that, I just wanted to tell you.

Street venders: they are gunna want you to buy their super cool gelatin balls shaped like pigs that you throw on the ground and they flatten and then come back to form.  I’m sure you’ll have no difficulty ignoring.  You can also simply ignore the strange man wanting to sell you a bouquet of flowers. You’re not insulting anyone.

Fashion: I haven't felt like I was being judged yet, but then again, I am a very stylish person.  Try not to look too touristy though, if you come with a fannypack, unless its Gucci, you might be.  Don’t wear shorts.  Italians wear jackets no matter what the temperature is, you do not have to follow this.  As a matter of fact I am not sure you will need much of a heavy coat anyway.  The temperature has been between the 50s and 60s.  I know, the rough life.

Food: just try it.  It will be fine.  If there is something you find you don’t like about it, just pick around it, because odds are the rest is yummy.  Breakfast is usually small, lunch isn’t until 2, and dinner isn’t until 7 or 8 (unless otherwise planned....?).

Drinks: When you sit down for dinner, the waiter automatically asks what type of wine you would like.  If you say coke, I think he is going to laugh at you.  You can say water though (which is usually good to mix with the wine).  Soda is different here in general.  Coke is made with real sugar, and a lot of it.  I find I dont like it, too syrupy.  Some people prefer it.  Orange soda here is more like carbonated orange juice.  Diet is not “Diet Coke,” here it is called “Coke Light”  

Puppies:  they are everywhere and they are all adorable, and they all have adorable sweaters on.  You don’t have to stop and admire the first one you see because they will all be cute.  Sometimes they don’t have a leach on them, which is fine because if you watch them, they are closely following their owner.  Sometimes they come with a bum sitting behind them.  Thats the bum trend here, have puppies with them as an added sympathy factor.

Kitties: sorry Mom Mom, they like hanging out near ruins.  They wont play with you I promise.

Gelato: I am sorry to say, that lately, it has been making my stomach hurt, so mama, bring lactaids.  Cioccolate Fondente is dark choclate, that is my favorite.  Cocco is not chocolate, its coconut.     

Leather shopping in Florence:  If the salesmen holds a lighter up to a jacket you are trying on WHILE it is on your body, he is just making a point that good leather doesn’t burn (this was one entertaining fact during our visit).  A good jacket seemed to have run my friends anywhere between 100-200 euro. When it comes to purses, make sure the lining is cotton, not polyester, or else its not a good liner.  Don’t feel pressured to buy either (that lady trying to sell to JoJo was CRAZY!). 

 Have fun: Take your time.  Everything has been here for centuries and will be here next time you come, so don’t rush.  Do as the Romans do and walk a little slower (advice I shouldn’t be giving, considering I have not conformed to this pace yet)

No comments:

Post a Comment