Friday, January 14, 2011

Happy one week Anniversary

Here is what I learned my first week in Rome:

1.  It is absolutely ok that I am going 4 months without soda.  I tried a coke and afterwords I became sick.  Partly because the syrup concentrate was higher, partly because it was 2.5 Euro which is about $3.  Not worth it.

2.  I have felt 100% safer walking in a group of me and 3 other girls (all about my size) across the entire city of Rome, then I have walking with a large group of guys in Chinatown, DC.  Or even on my own campus in DC if you wanna go that far.

3.  The only pieces of Italian trends that I have noticed are boots (duh), hello kitty (strange, but cute), and extremely poofy and shiny jackets (typically in the darker color spectrum) that Italians wear no matter what the temperature is.

4.  It is always easier to handle the shower if you’ve had a glass of wine first...

5.  Speak Italian like you mean in, don’t just be satisfied that you know what it means.

6.  Use the zillions of stairs you take every day as a means of exercise.  These stairs have been here for 500 years, if they haven’t changed yet, they sure aren’t going to change now.

7.  Gelato does not effect my lactose intolerance.  win.

8.  Design cars around a city, not a city around cars.  Roman pedestrians and motorist, for the most part, share paths.  Surprisingly nobody ever gets hit.  Even when j-walking across main arteries, which is completely legal.  I bet Italians are really good at Frogger.

9.  Cobblestones.

10.  Don’t follow the kid(s) in your group that have been to Rome before.  They are just as likely to get you lost. 

11.  Nothing compares to a building like the Pantheon.  Nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment