Friday, April 29, 2011

Arrivederci, Roma

So here I am, packing, needing a break because i just ran into a dust bunny under my bed.  Tonight we have a fairwell with the people of our building, and then our final dinner with Eric and Marina.  Then the whole group of us are going on our final stroll around La Citta Eterna, and thus concludes our semester.

Well, what have i learned? I learned that the characters on Gilligan’s Island could not have stayed that sane for all those years without tossing someone off a mountain, but besides that what did i really learn these past four months?

I learned a lot about living in a different country. Now, before you say, “well duh Lisa...” hear me out.  It took a lot to get used to fitting into a society without being obnoxious.  Sure, none of us succeeded at perfect italian culture, but we all adapted to the language and lifestyles extremely fast.  I somewhat understand why other places make fun of Americans now. We walk fast, we like to dress for comfort, and we’re not used to history surrounding us, especially in a place like Clark, NJ.  Italians really do live by “la dolce vita” and “il dolce far niente” and dont understand the rush.  The purpose of the Spanish Steps is for people to sit on and people watch everyone going by, you even see at restaurants in piazzas, the chairs outside are angled facing into the piazza, for the customers to watch everything in the Piazza.  There is nothing wrong with chilling with a glass of wine and enjoying what you have instead of complaining about what you dont. 

I can cook.  I know.  Its a complete surprise to me too.  Ive been watching or helping my mom make meatballs and sauce for as long as i can remember, sometimes even starting the sauce for her if she was going to be home late, but finally, i took on the challenge of completely making it on my own and it was a huge success.  A few of my friends looked forward to the days i would make it.  It really does make me feel proud that I can do something that real on my own. 

What have i missed? all i can say is there better be an everything bagel with butter, a huge glass of chocolate milk, and a bag of cheddar sunchips waiting for me when i get home.  I miss squirrels too, pigeons are really annoying.  I miss my stove top that i dont need to put a lighter up to in order to light.  I also miss having more than one pillow... oh and AIR CONDITIONING.  Lets just say these last few weeks were complete with a stuffy Lisa.  I miss good internet and MY CRACKBERRY! im sorry, my generation depends on texting.  I hope that thing turns on still when i get home, he might be mad at me.  Oh and the obvious answer to this question - my friends and family back in America

What will i miss.. good question.. EVERYTHING!  I may even miss those annoying pigeons.... ok that is a stretch.  Its kind of sweet when you walk into a store and say Boungiorno to the shop owner.  I am going to miss being surrounded by such important history.  How when i give directions, famous monuments like the Pantheon and the Colosseum are the land marks used.  The panini place down the street from studio where the guy started to recognize us.  Sergio, the bartender at the bar we always got our espresso at.  When i order hot chocolate and get pudding.   Bonding with the other 19 students.

The other night we all pitched in and made a family dinner.  It was probably the first time all 20 of us were in the same room in our dorm building.  I stood up to give the first toast, all that i said was “To the semester we had been looking forward to-” and then started to tear up.  This semester has been what we have been waiting for since last spring when we officially found out we were coming at the LATEST.  For me, I had been looking forward to this since, oh i dont know, it could have been 8th grade that i decided i was going to study Architecture in Rome, and here I am, saying goodbye to this chapter in my life, and ready to see what is in store for us all next.

Here is the video a few of us worked on to conclude our semester.

Arrivaderci, Roma. Mi mancherai, mi amore.

No comments:

Post a Comment