Sunday, March 13, 2011

Spring Break, Shitfaced

So I am back from Istanbul, and then what? oh right, time for Spring break!  I will keep this one a bit more abridged than the Istanbul post.

We land from Istanbul, I have a few moments of lunch, chill, whatnot. Brig is about to leave with Corin and Andrew to go to studio and print their boarding passes for their trip to Germany.  I better go downstairs and say goodbye to the boys since idk when i am leaving to meet with my parents.  I enter the boys room and Speer yells “LISA THERE YOU ARE! Youre parents were just outside the window, i sent them around, go get them!” And that is when my spring break began.

I was with my family in Rome for the weekend. They got to see all the great sites of Rome I’ve been to, in addition to many other new things to me.  On saturday night, my uncle took us to his friends house in Rome for an authentic italian meal. It was completely awesome and different, and i got to practice my italian =]

Sunday was a papal morning and then a night of me being sad because i dont want my family to leave rome, but i dont wanna miss out on my spring break plans. 

Creepy man at Termini at 5 am but i managed to escape. I met a cool Serbian girl on the train to the airport, and 2 really awesome just out of college students on the plane.  We talked about Summer Hights High.  I then land in Amsterdam. Our hostel is right across the canal from the Red light district. Awesome.  I then got to go into the Van Gogh Museum.  Even more awesome.  I eventually got to try the signature french fries with mayo.  It was delicious. and i Had my first Amstel. I hope my mom is proud of me.

Liz and I decided the last half our our week would be spent in Edinburgh, Scottland.  It was a beautiful city.  Corin and Brigid also joined. We got to go into Mary King’s Close which is famously haunted and, much like the fake haunted forest we went to in Maryland, managed to scare the bejesus out of me.  There was a place we had lunch at one day entirely dedicated to baked potatoes. I have had more potatoes in the last week than i have all year. 

story time: back in the way way day before plumbing, Edinburgh had tall (10-14 story) buildings, that they had to use a bucket as a bathroom.  every day at 7 am and 10 pm they were aloud to yell “guard-e-loo” (not sure how it is actually spelled) and toss the bucket of the days waste out the window.  10 pm is also the time that pubs would close, and since men would go right from work to the pub, they would drink a plenty, and then walk home. When they would walk home, odds are, someone was shouting “GUARD-E-LOO” and since they were drunk, they would dizzily look up, into the darkness, and then, only if they were lucky, would the droppings land right on their face. hence: “shit faced.” learned that one on a rando tour we went on.

In the end, i had such a great week. do i wish i spent the week with my parents in italy? part of me does, but in the end, i know that I got to experience 2 cities i have been wanting to visit, and i had so much fun at both of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment